Volkswagen introduced to the world the third generation of the VW Touareg. It was launched in China, the most important market of the German brand. Following, 10 things you need to know of this premium SUV that has a totally redesigned aesthetic, improvements in its engine and comfort and safety adapted to these times.
1. About the first and second generation Touareg have been sold one million units.
2. Compared to the previous generation, the new Touareg it is moderately wider and longer. The increased length, for example, notably expands the boot volume from 697 to 810 liters (with the rear bench seatbacks raised). It measures 4.878 millimeters (77 mm more), has a width of 1.984 mm (44 more) and a height of 1.702 mm (7 less).
3. Despite the increased length and width, the body of mixed construction, with 48% aluminum and 52% high-tech steels, it weighs 106 kg less than the previous model.
4. Premieres the “Innovision Cockpit”Completely digitized. The digital instruments (digital instrument cluster with 12-inch display) and the superior infotainment system "Discover Premium”(With a 15-inch screen) merge to become a digital unit for use, information, communication and entertainment that practically dispenses with the classic keys and switches.
5. The driver can adapt the assistance, driving dynamics and comfort systems to his needs via the “Innovision Cockpit”, thereby personalizing “his” Touareg. It is configured as a smartphone, thus adapting to personal needs. This is possible thanks to the maximum interconnection of controllable systems and programs via digital surfaces and the multifunction steering wheel.
6. It has several assistance systems, driving dynamics and comfort such as the Night vision, which recognizes people and animals in the dark through a thermal imaging camera; the assistant for crosses, that reacts to cross traffic; the four-wheel active steering, IQ.Light, interactive camera-controlled high beams and low beams and a Head-up Display projected directly on the windshield, among others.
7. It will hit the European market initially equipped with the 6 kW / 170 hp and 231 kW / 210 hp V286 diesel engines. In addition, a 6 kW / 250 hp V340 petrol version and a 8 kW / 310 hp V421 turbodiesel will follow in different markets.
8. For the Old Continent there will also be a version with plug-in hybrid motor, although at the moment it is not known when it will be available.
9. Are offered three equipment lines: Atmosphere, with a living room style dominated by wood and natural tones; Elegance, a technological world with a predominance of metal elements and matching colors; and the R-Line sports line.
10. The most important markets for the third generation Touareg are China, Europe and Russia. El new VW Touareg would reach the Argentine market during 2019.