Right on Blvd. A. Villaflor, at the height of Aimé Painé, in Puerto Madero, there is a beautiful monument that recalls one of the most important drivers in Argentina and the world: Juan Manuel Fangio, five times Formula One champion. 1.
Created by the Catalan artist Joaquim Ros Sabaté, the work is cast in bronze and weighs more than three tons. Represents El Chueco with a Mercedes-Benz W196. It was donated by DaimlerChrysler Argentina, the Fangio Foundation and Repsol YPF.
In addition to the one located in Puerto Madero, there are four other similar pieces around the world that are located in Montmeló (Spain), Nürburgring (Germany), Monza (Italy) and in Montecarlo (Monaco).
Fangio was born on June 24, 1911 in Balcarce. His first race was in 1936. Only four years later he won the International Grand Prix of Argentina. In 1950 he raced for Alfa Romeo and in 1951 he won his first world title. In 1954 he joined the Mercedes-Benz team and that same year he became world champion, a fact that was repeated in 1955.
Following the withdrawal of the Mercedes-Benz brand from Formula 1, he won his fourth and fifth world titles in 1956 and 1957 racing in a Lancia-Ferrari and a Maserati, respectively. He concluded his outstanding automobile career in 1958, at the age of 47. He passed away on July 17, 1995, accompanied by his family and loved ones.