The Australian Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull) achieved the best time in the first Formula 1 preseason training, this Monday at the Montmeló circuit, near Barcelona.
The only rider to do more than 100 laps on the Catalan track, Ricciardo beat the Finns Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes), for 170/1000, and Kimi Räikkönen (Ferrari), for 327/1000.
The fourth place went to the German Nico Hulkenberg (Renault), at 368/1000. In this way, the Rombo team was the only team that kept pace with the three Top teams (Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull).
These four times were achieved in the morning session, before the meteorological conditions deteriorated in the afternoon, with the rain as an unexpected guest.
The Spanish Fernando Alonso (McLaren) had a difficult start. Less than an hour after the start of the session he lost his right rear wheel and ended up off-track. McLaren, now equipped by Renault, indicated that it was a problem of adjustment of the wheel, without offering more details.
The double world champion initially signed the fifth best time of the day, although later his time was canceled for having skipped a chicane, so he finally ranked seventh.
The current world champion, Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes), did not participate in the morning session and in the afternoon he completed 25 laps of the Barcelona track, although he could not do more than the sixth best time, taking into account the penalty for Alonso.
Before the start of the activity on the Catalan track, Toro Rosso y Force India They presented the new models that they will use this year. On the side of the Faenza-based team, the STR13 stands out for having a Honda engine. While the highlight of the Indian team during the launch of the VJM11 was that it was confirmed that he could change his name before the Australian GP.
1. Daniel Ricciardo (AUS / Red Bull-Renault) 1: 20.179 (102 laps)
2. Valtteri Bottas (FIN / Mercedes) 1: 20.349 (58)
3. Kimi Räikkönen (FIN / Ferrari) 1: 20.506 (80)
4. Nico Hülkenberg (GER / Renault) 1: 20.547 (73)
5. Carlos Sainz Jr (ESP / Renault) 1: 22.168 (26)
6. Lewis Hamilton (GBR / Mercedes) 1: 22.327 (25)
7. Fernando Alonso (ESP / McLaren-Renault) 1: 22.354 (51)
8. Brendon Hartley (NZL / Toro Rosso-Honda) 1: 22.371 (93)
9. Lance Stroll (CAN / Williams-Mercedes) 1: 22.452 (46)
10. Romain Grosjean (FRA / Haas-Ferrari) 1: 22.578 (55)
11. Marcus Ericsson (SWE / Sauber-Ferrari) 1: 23.408 (63)
12. Nikita Mazepin (RUS / Force India-Mercedes) 1: 25.628 (22)
13. Sergey Sirotkin (RUS / Williams-Mercedes) 1: 44.148 (27)
Photos: Red Bull Content Pool and Pirelli Press