A duel was expected between Ferrari and Mercedes for the victory of Chinese Grand Prix, third date of Formula 1 World Championship, but the maximum joy remained for Red Bull thanks to the superb performance of the Australian Daniel Ricciardo.
The favorites Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes), with problems all weekend, and Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari), who suffered a crash from Dutchman Max Verstappen (Red Bull), were only 4th and 8th respectively.
The Austrian team secured the victory by taking advantage of the entry of the safety car on lap 31, after a collision between the two Toro Rosso team cars, to proceed with a second tire change.
At the time of the change, Ricciardo was sixth, but the new tires allowed him to climb positions until he reached the top of the race. The Aussie also benefited from Vettel's mishap, whose car collided with Verstappen's on lap 43.
The podium at the Shanghai circuit was completed by the Finns Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes) and Kimi Räikkönen (Ferrar), who at least had the pleasure of leading the race for several laps.
RACE (58 laps)
1. Daniel Ricciardo (AUS / Red Bull-TAG Heuer), 1h35m36s380
2. Valtteri Bottas (FIN / Mercedes) at 8s894
3. Kimi Räikkönen (FIN / Ferrari) at 9s637
4. Lewis Hamilton (ING / Mercedes) at 16s985
5. Max Verstappen (HOL / Red Bull-TAG Heuer) at 20s436
6. Nico Hulkenberg (ALE / Renault) at 21s052
7. Fernando Alonso (ESP / McLaren-Renault) at 30s639
8. Sebastian Vettel (ALE / Ferrari) at 35s286
9. Carlos Sainz (ESP / Renault) at 35s763
10. Kevin Magnussen (DIN / Haas-Ferrari) at 39s594
AVERAGE: 191,451 km / h. LAP RECORD: Ricciardo (55th) in 1m35s785 at 204,871 km / h. DRIVERS CHAMPIONSHIP: 1) Vettel, 54 points; 2) Hamilton, 45; 3) Bottas, 40; 4) Ricciardo, 37; 5) Räikkönen, 30; 6) Alonso and Hulkenberg, 22; 8) Verstappen, 18; 9) Gasly, 12; 10) Magnussen, 11. NEXT DATE: April 29, Azerbaijan Grand Prix.