On the return of Grand Prix of France to F1, Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) left her stamp. With the resounding victory he achieved in the circuit of Paul ricard the Englishman returned to first place in the tournament to the detriment of his German rival Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari).
Hamilton, dominator of the free trials and qualifying, maintained the hegemony in the race and showed that Mercedes, his team, is back in good shape after releasing a new engine. The dutch Max Verstappen (Red Bull) and the Finn Kimi Räikkönen (Ferrari) completed the podium of the gala event.
Thanks to his third win of the year and the 65th of his campaign in the category, Hamilton leads Vettel by 14 points, fifth in an ill-fated race. The German played in the first round with the Finn Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes) when they were both looking to be Hamilton's escort.
Both had to enter the pits to repair their cars and were left behind in the peloton. As if that were not enough for Vettel, who had arrived at this appointment at the head of the contest, he was sanctioned with five seconds to be considered responsible for the incident with the Nordic.
The French Pierre Gasly (Toro Rosso) and Esteban Ocon (Force India) were forced to quit when their cars crashed shortly after the start of the race. Repeated incidents on the first lap caused the race to be neutralized by the safety car until lap five.
RACE (53 laps)
1. Lewis Hamilton (GBR / Mercedes), 1h30m11s385
2. Max Verstappen (HOL / Red Bull) at 7s090
3. Kimi Räikkönen (FIN / Ferrari) at 25s888
4. Daniel Ricciardo (AUS / Red Bull) at 34s736
5. Sebastian Vettel (ALE / Ferrari) at 1m01s935
6. Kevin Magnussen (DIN / Haas) at 1m19s364
7. Valtteri Bottas (FIN / Mercedes) at 1m20s632
8. Carlos Sainz (ESP / Renault) at 1m27s184
9. Nico Hülkenberg (ALE / Renault) at 1m31s989
10. Charles Leclerc (MON / Sauber) at 1m33s873
AVERAGE: 206,025 km / h. LAP RECORD: Bottas (41st) in 1m34s225 at 223,201 km / h. CHAMPIONSHIP: 1) Hamilton, 145 points; 2) Vettel, 131; 3) Ricciardo, 96; 4) Bottas, 92; 5) Räikkönen, 83; 6) Verstappen, 68; 7) Hülkenberg, 34; 8) Alonso, 32; 9) Sainz, 28; 10) Magnussen, 27. NEXT DATE: 01/07 Austrian GP.