Maserati celebrates the 70th anniversary of Maserati A6G 2000, one of the most representative models of the A6 series manufactured by the company between 1947 and 1956. The first copy of this range was delivered to its owner exactly in February 1951.
The A6G 2000, which replaced the sporty A6 1500, was named in homage to Alfieri Maserati - hence the letter A-, with the number 6 indicating the type of engine (6 cylinders in line), the "G" as a reference for the cast iron or "ghisa" with which the impeller block was made and at 2.000 cc displacement.
The need to increase power capacity in response to the trend that was generalizing in the Italian market, in part due to the improvement of the country's economic conditions, led Maserati to the two-liter A6GCS engine with which it took full advantage of the potential of the A6 chassis.
The increase in displacement, compared to the previous A6, was achieved thanks to precise engineering work on both the bore and the stroke of the 6-cylinder in-line engine.
With a displacement of 1.954,3 cc, it reached a power of between 90 and 100 CV depending on the final configuration, which allowed a maximum speed of 180 km/h. A clear manifesto of the sportsmanship and quality of Maserati cars.
El Turin Motor Show 1950 was the perfect setting for the launch of the A6G 2000, which Maserati presented in two versions: a two-door sedan with four seats, signed by Pininfarina; and a convertible designed by Pietro Frua.
A total of 16 of these cars were assembled in 1950 and 1951: nine with Pininfarina bodywork, plus five convertibles and a Pietro Frua coupe. Alfredo Vignale It produced only one car, a two-tone A6G 2000 coupe with its characteristic sporty styling.
Rear-wheel drive, a four-speed reverse gearbox and a dry-mounted single-disc clutch completed the features of the new 6 A2000G, in addition to independent front suspensions and spring-loaded rigid axle rear suspensions.
All four wheels were fitted with hydraulically controlled drum brakes, and the solid steel or spoke wheels completed a carefully chosen combination of craftsmanship and technological innovation. A set that made this vehicle, manufactured for a few, an icon of the automotive scene of the time.