The dutch Max Verstappen (Red Bull) was the fastest this Friday in the first of the three days of official tests of the Formula 1 on the circuit Bahrain, where the next 28 will start the championship.
The "Great Circus" is close to opening its doors and interesting things have been seen in these rehearsals, despite a sandstorm that covered the Bahrain International Circuit in the evening session, how to see that Mercedes It does not start in an idyllic way and that there are several teams wanting to take a step forward.
Throughout the eight hours of testing, with a break for lunch in between, Verstappen was the fastest driver (with his 1: 30.674) and the one with the most laps with 138. Thus Red Bull He started the year in which he will try to defeat Mercedes on the right foot.
Precisely, the Black Arrows of the champion team had problems. In the morning, Valtteri Bottas had gearbox issues and only made 6 turns. In the afternoon, the current champion Lewis Hamilton he complained about the lack of grip on his W12, dropping only 42 laps and setting the tenth fastest time.
And, if Bottas broke the gearbox of the Mercedes, he also had problems Sebastian Vettel in his debut with Aston Martin, which stopped him at the pit exit causing a yellow flag.
It was a day of few firm conclusions, only notes. But he did leave anecdotes, such as the Russian's debut Nikita mazepin in a Haas who wears the Russian and non-American colors for the sponsorship of the company Uralkali, partly owned by the pilot's father. A design studied by the World Anti-Doping Agency, which has prohibited Russian athletes and pilots from driving under the flag and anthem of their country, sanctioned for doping.
He also piloted that Haas a Mick Schumacher that returned his illustrious surname to an F.1 grid, in these tests, waiting to finally be able to do so in an official Grand Prix. The son of Michael Schumacher He finished the penultimate day, just behind his teammate and with only 15 laps due to problems in his car.
F.1 TESTS IN BAHRIAN - DAY 1
- Max Verstappen (Red Bull), 1: 30.674
- Lando Norris (McLaren), 1: 30.889
- Esteban Ocon (Alpine), 1: 31.146
- Lance Stroll (Aston Martin), 1: 31.782
- CARLOS SAINZ (Ferrari), 1: 31.919
- Antonio Giovinazzi (Alfa Romeo), 1: 31.945
- Daniel Ricciardo (McLaren), 1: 32.203
- Pierre Gasly (AlphaTauri), 1: 32.231
- Yuki Tsunoda (AlphaTauri), 1: 32.727
- Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes), 1: 32.912
- Charles Leclerc (Ferrari), 1: 33.242
- Kimi Raikkonen (Alfa Romeo), 1: 33.320
- Sebastian Vettel (Aston Martin), 1: 33.742
- Roy Nissany (Williams), 1: 34.789
- Nikita Mazepin (Haas), 1: 34.798
- Mick Schumacher (Haas), 1: 36.127
- Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes), 1: 36.850