For the second consecutive season, the F1 could terminate the Australian Grand Prix 2021 as a consequence of coronavirus. Last year the test was canceled the Friday before when positive cases of COVID-19 in the team McLaren. For this fiscal year, the date was moved from March to November in the hope that the disease would not affect its performance.
For now, the main drawback to holding the event of the November 18 to 21 passes through restrictions Australia has put in place for those entering the country since they must comply with two weeks quarantine, something that greatly complicates the logistics of all teams.
The final decision will be made on September 1 and this is known from a meeting that they must have between the race organizers, the company Australian Grand Prix Corporation, and those responsible for the Australian category supercars, which will be the opening act for the Grand Prize.
The tourism specialty is especially concerned about the situation because on its calendar there is a visit to NZ in the days leading up to it and whether or not the test in Melbourne is held, it could force modifications related to logistics.
"From a transportation point of view, we definitely need to know by September 1 ... We need to work on the transportation plan to get back from New Zealand on time."Said Sean Seamer, CEO of Supercars, to Autosports.
A few weeks ago, a government spokesman for Victoria told the newspaper of Melbourne The Sunday Age that the organization of the Australian Grand Prix was being worked on, despite the complexity derived from the pandemic.
“Grand Prix planning is a complex matter involving multiple parties, including Grand Prix Corporation, Formula One Management and the Commonwealth government. The health of the Victorians remains the key factor in all of this and we will have more to say at the appropriate time. ", was explained.