Without a doubt, Peugeot Sport is synonymous with motorsport. The competition department of the León brand was born in October 1981, since then it has competed with passion and success on all circuits and roads in the world, in the great championships and in the most legendary events.
A pioneer, the French team has lined up the most extreme machines and the most iconic riders. Since 1895 with his victory in the Paris-Bordeaux-Paris, the world's first timed race, the brand has always viewed motorsport as an accelerator towards progress.
While some figures may be symbolic, the facts and actions are totally real. Since its inception in October 1981 Be Peugeot talbot sport, accumulates more successes than candles on the cake, the result of the continued quality of its structure and an impeccable sports strategy.
"Sport is an exceptional technological laboratory for the automobile", remember Linda jackson, CEO of Peugeot. “It is a formidable accelerator of research and progress. For our brand, it is essential in the development of our vehicles and our future mobility plans. These 40 years of Peugeot Sport are a success, a pride and, above all, a basis for our achievements today and tomorrow. It is an inheritance that guides our future ”.
Started by Jean Todt, has developed legendary cars such as the unforgettable Peugeot 205 T16, 405 T16, 206 WRC, 306 Maxi, 905, or, more recently, the Peugeot 908, 208 T16 Pikes Peak, 2008 DKR, 3008 DKR, 208 WRX, and the already revolutionary Peugeot 9X8 with which he will compete in the Wec. Fully integrated into Peugeot's electrification strategy, the latter represents the symbiotic work of sports and design teams.
National and world championships, legendary events, the women and men of Peugeot Sport have achieved all the challenges proposed in the last 40 years, transmitting passion and professionalism, essential values, to the current teams.
Spectacular and historical images of the different titles in the world rally championship or, more recently, in the world rallycross championship, the numerous victories in the Peugeot Sport mirror are reflected in the Peugeot Sport rear-view mirror. Dakar Rally at different times, the triumphs in the 24 Hours of Le Mans or in the race to the clouds of the Pikes Peak, but also, the victories in the French competitions or the podiums in F.1 as a motorcyclist. The list is far from exhaustive. In 40 years, the team has won:
- 5 constructors' titles in the world rally championship (1985, 1986, 2000, 2001, 2002),
- 4 world rally driver titles (Timo Salonen, Juha Kankkunen and Marcus Grönholm twice),
- 3 drivers and constructors titles at the Intercontinental Rally Challenge (2007, 2008, 2009),
- Titles in national rally championships in different countries,
- 3 victories in the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1992, with the Yannick Dalmas-Derek Warwick-Mark Blundell team, in 1993 with Christophe Bouchut-Eric Helary-Geoff Brabham and in 2009 with the Marc Gené-David Brabham-Alex Wurz trio,
- 3 victories on the dizzying climb of Pikes Peak in 1988 (with Ari Vatanen), 1989 (Robby Unser) and 2013 (Sébastien Loeb),
- Different titles of champion of Superturism, among them one of the most prestigious, in Germany with the 406 (Laurent Aïello),
- 7 Dakar victories (1987 with Ari Vatanen, 1988 with Juha Kankkunen, 1989 and 1990 with Ari Vatanen, 2016 and 2017 with Stéphane Peterhansel and 2018 with Carlos Sainz),
- 1 title in the world rallycross championship in 2015.
To design and implement these rally, raid and circuit programs around the world, those in charge have always displayed Peugeot's values. Among these team and project managers, some big names stood out, such as Todt himself, Corrado Provera, Jean-Pierre Nicolas, Bruno Famin, etc ... His roadmap was always the same: start, innovate, group, progress, all to win.
Today, the electrification represented by the Hypercar program with the Peugeot 9X8 at the FIA WEC and the 24 Hours of Le Mans symbolizes the mobility challenges of the future for the brand. From the circuit to the road, the investigation continues, progresses, the pilot tests and passes the baton to the constructor in something that could be defined as an established and virtuous cycle.