The French Sébastien Ogier (Ford Fiesta) won for the fifth time in a row the Monte Carlo Rally, first round of the 2018 World Cup of the specialty. In this way, he achieved his sixth success in the legendary career and started his title defense on the right foot.
The reigning five-time world champion, who became the first driver to win five times in a row at Monte Carlo, was escorted by the official team riders Toyota: Estonian Ott Tänak (58s3) and the Finn Jari-Matti Latvala (1m52s0).
“Often times in Monte Carlo the conditions are difficult, but this time it was particularly difficult. In the end we managed to impose ourselves, for which I am very happy ", said Ogier, who leads the World Cup with 26 points, eight more than Tänak.
Seb took the controls of the 86th edition of the test in the first special, disputed on Thursday night, even though he had started ill. “You had to be regular, try not to make mistakes. I committed them and they cost me time, but perhaps not as much as the others ", summed up the Frenchman, M-Sport team driver.
The second round of the World Cup will be held in Sweden in mid-February.
1. Sébastien Ogier (FRA / Ford) 4h.18: 55: 5 26
2. Ott Tänak (EST / Toyota) at 58.3 18
3. Jari-Matti Latvala (FIN / Toyota) at 1: 52.0 17
4. Kris Meeke (ING / Citroen) at 4:43.1
5. Thierry Neuville (BEL / Hyundai) at 4: 53.8 14
6. Elfyn Evans (GBR / Ford) at 4: 54.8 8
7. Esapekka Lappi (FIN / Toyota) at 4: 57.5 6
8. Bryan Bouffier (FRA / Ford) at 7: 39.5 4
9. Craig Breen (IRL / Citroen) at 9:06.7
10. Jan Kopecky (CZE / Skoda WRC-2) at 16: 43.0 1
PILOT CHAMPIONSHIP: 1) Ogier, 26 points; 2) Tanak, 18; 3) Latvala and Meeke, 17; 5) Neuville, 14. BRAND CHAMPIONSHIP: 1) M-Sport (Ford) 33 points, 2) Toyota 33, 3) Citroen 18 and 4) Hyundai 14.